IPA Scotland has been around in existence for many years but didn’t have charitable status, however committee members of IPA Scotland also comprised the majority of trustees for the PlayRight Scotland Trust, which did (SC026909).
As both IPA and the Trust shared the same objectives “to protect, preserve and promote the child’s right to play as a fundamental human right”, it had been felt for some time that it would be beneficial for the two organisations to unite, but only if at the same time the new entity could retain charitable status. This became a possibility with the launch of the legal charitable entity: the Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) in 2011.
In December 2012 IPA Scotland was set up as a SCIO and retained the charity number previously held by PlayRight Scotland Trust.
Our values and principles
IPA Scotland’s work, values and principles are underpinned by the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC), which the UK government ratified in 1991, and in particular Article 31:
States parties recognise the right of the child to rest and leisure, to engage in play and recreational activities appropriate to the age of the child and to participate freely in cultural life and the arts.
Values and principles inform the work of IPA Scotland, informed by current research on play:
- play is a fundamental right and all rights are equal and indivisible;
- free play is essential to the development and wellbeing of all children;
- all children need to be enabled to take risks in play;
- playing with nature and playing outdoors bring unique benefits to all children;
- all children need time and space to play – unsupervised as well as supported by professional playworkers; and
- extra effort my be required to ensure that those who are disabled, disadvantaged or marginalised can exercise their right to play.
The work of IPA Scotland is also guided by the Playwork Principles, which establish
the professional and ethical framework for the playwork profession (http//:www.skillsactive.com/our-sectors/playwork/playwork-principles)